April 9, 2010

About Taboos and No Taboos

About Taboos and No Taboos
"Let's close her eyes! Do not open until given the cue, yes," cried my mother.
"Why should refer to baseball? is sin?" I asked curiously.
"Yes, baseball is allowed to see .. It's not for small children, taboo!" my father said.
Do not show the intimate taboo, but the age taboo
The conversation has so far been recorded in my memory when the first holiday with the family to New York, United States. I was only 13 years of age, my brother just a new high school while the youngest, even 6 years old. So, quite naturally at that time my parents keep our eye right kids. Along the way, inside the cab, we were busy parents govern their children close their eyes every time we passed a billboard advertising a bit jerk.

Views of the city of New York in the 80s already seemed "excited" for us. When we walk, the mother would not stop giving advice every time we passed by a scantily clad woman who showed nearly the entire body. Repeatedly said that she said was "rude" and "taboo".

Not just on the road. Park City was not a place a "safe" for our eyes. Rather than take their child instead of my parents have a picnic to panic when in some parts of the park we encountered a number of young couples flirting and fun rolling around on the grass.

Year 2000 when I left Indonesia, it seems the rules of film censorship is still tight. As I recall, there can be no kiss scene. In the pool, I met many women who wear a bathing suit covering the entire body even though she was not veiled. Of course, for the sake of decency.
Kang Dadang (David) sempet surprised when I saw this scene in the pool. Want to swim what would dive into the sea, said Kang Dadang. While visiting my sister in law sempet Jakarta uncomfortable with sexy swimsuit. Finally he nyemplung also to the pool after I explained that the Indonesian people, although norms uphold his conviction, greatly appreciate the culture of western society.

Nudists
Indonesian community living in the midst of my many struggling with a number of things that are considered taboo. In France, what is considered taboo by the Indonesian community in fact regarded as natural.
I remember very well how surprised I was at my first summer in this country. At that time with Adam, my first child, was busy making castles of sand. Suddenly the couple grandparents, age around 50-60 years old, held a towel in front of us. Bluntly they both casually took off all their clothes and let your body become wizened eyes of our meal. "Tsk ... tsk ... tsk .. instead of the old already realizes it? In fact, the more cooll!" my inner.

In Indonesia, we often hear the phrase "old already, aware." It was that phrase does not apply here. The usual "believed", precisely because it lets parents enjoy life as much as possible.

Landscape plain body without a thread along the beach is not a strange thing. That common scene every summer. They're not just sitting or sleeping in the sun. Plain bodies running around or playing beach rackets already familiar in the eyes of my asian. Honestly, I'm still very Asian. So, often I can only sigh and istigfar menghelas hopefully my children to know and understand the meaning of norms of civility that is always applied in the family.

Nude is not a taboo in France, but not everyone wants to do it. In the Dadang family , bikini swimsuit was still ok, no more than that. Why not nudists? The answer, because he felt uncomfortable and embarrassed to be naked. Ooo still yet to know the word embarrassed, I said.

Kumpul kebo
Another thing. In the tradition of the Indonesian people live together without marriage or Kumpul kebo is taboo, even practically disgrace and sin. Because of these problems my family and another family sempet Kang Dadang awkward.

The story, in 2006 Adam circumcised and feted in Jakarta. David's family were present to celebrate a happy day. One of David's family who came to Jakarta is his sister. Five months earlier, David's sister got a new girlfriend and live together.

At that time my family feel uneasy if the couple were sleeping together in one room. My parents are advised to stay in their homes not to sleep in one room. They deliver it to me. The hassle of course how to talk to them. On the one hand I understand very well that sex without marriage tie affairs in France is a natural. On the other hand, I also understand that it is not unusual aka taboo in Indonesia. Frankly, I am afraid to offend my sister in law. So I asked for my husband's sister's just an alias that describes the problem this taboo to them.

My fears vanished. The day after Kang Dadang told his brother over the phone, his brother called me up. "Early, you do not worry about it," a friendly voice in my ear. "We understand the true customs applicable in your country. For us in your parents' house, only me that will live there, while my boyfriend, let alone he would sleep at the hotel. Can you find hotels near the house of your parents?"

Wahhhhh ... then I felt the burden off my shoulders. Plong taste. They want to understand. Finally, my sister who lives just next door to the house parents offer her guest room for my boyfriend's brother-in-law. It turns out people who do not recognize the taboo traditions even if they are in one country can easily adapt to local culture.
Accustomed
In Indonesia, like I said before, showing the intimate scenes of certain body parts must be subject to censorship. In France, let alone intimate scenes, bath soap ads often show an intimate part of women. In the ad the ad model casually wiped the whole body bubble bath.
Because of the frequency watch ads like that, I no longer feel annoyed and make it unusual. Meanwhile, my father yelled frantically called me while he was on holiday to France and stayed at our house. The ads appear on an afternoon when my father was watching television. At that time Adam was with him. "Ihhh, drowsy shameless. The movie's most kids, especially this afternoon gini, in the event the children also. Basic!" exclaimed my father.

I can only grin. Discharged to know how? It is true that my father scolding, the children's naked sounds no ads? But one side of the ad that was aired was not seronok. The woman did was to show how he likes and is refreshed by the fragrance of the soap bath. Apparently, secretly battery (my father) advised his grandson about taboo issues. And, nothing has changed from Adam after the event: it will spontaneously shut her eyes with her hands every time he saw the television show intimate scenes or part of a woman.

" Adam, why are you? Shame?" I asked, surprised.
"Ihhhh mom, rather embarrassed, but taboo. That was nasty. not Adam child may see the word bubble," he replied innocently.

Of course, Adam's answer makes me laugh. I remembered my parents panic when we were kids. In each occasion on holiday abroad they always ask us to close the eyes with both hands every time we met with the board seronok image ads. Rather than shut our eyes, we used instead often surreptitiously glances. Curious.

Another taboo
There are many more stories about something that is considered taboo in Indonesia, but not here. Here every year is celebrated the feast of homosexuals. Perayaanya the form of a massive march along the street with several male and female dancers with their sexy costumes.
Another thing is commonplace, a child when the woman entered a period of puberty, her mother asks for help to the mother or vice versa to offer his daughter to see a gynecologist to select a suitable contraceptive use.
A friend whose child is sitting on a bench high school never called me. He was grumpy. Because, his son who just got counseling on fertility. Extension reminded the young men to not forget to use condoms when having sex so as not to prevent contracting the disease and early pregnancy due to intercourse How to use a condom shown in front of schoolchildren.

"Oh, Din, can you imagine it? My son is still kids already teach as intimate relationships is something that is illegal without a tie. Oh, then I repent," he cried in panic.

"Calm Ma'am, let her know of this problem.'ll Live how we as parents have a lot to explain and remind our children that in life there is value as a keeper of tradition and religion," I replied soothingly.
Frankly, I was surprised not to imagine the little play Adam came home from school one day to explain the unusual subjects to be discussed at the Indonesian family in general. But going to say? It's been like that there. Maybe because it was not considered taboo then something always feels weird and makes my eyes want to jump now become part of some of the things that was not too surprising anymore. And since become commonplace then there is no term surreptitiously view or pretend to hate and do not agree but do secretly.
One thing that's funny. I once asked my lecturer, what is taboo for the French. Know what he said? Age. "If you ask for age in addition to administrative work or to someone let alone an adult, you will be considered rude, taboo!" the light of my lecturers.

Do not show the intimate taboo, but the age taboo.

Artikel Terkait

About Taboos and No Taboos
4/ 5
Oleh

Berlangganan

Suka dengan artikel di atas? Dapatkan desain eksklusif gretis via email